Friday, December 21, 2007

O&G rocks!!!!

O&G posting officially came to the end. I had a short holiday, around 6 days before my last posting, surgery started. I realized that I had not been updating my blog for a long time. Although O&G posting was hectic and tiring, I really had a good time. I had a lot of hands on opportunities that made me more competent. I scrubbed in for the first time to assist surgeries, conduct deliveries, set up intravenous drips, stay up the whole night for the calls and try to stay alert the day after for clinical teaching. On call was really challenging as I needed at least 8 hours sleep a day for me to function normally. I realized the challenges and difficulties that faced in the O&G career. The 'meconium baby' incident made me understood that mistakes could lead to morbidity and mortality to both mother and baby. Special thanks to my group members preetha, jingwern and soon han for the support. I could not forget to learn swabbing and tightening pads from my fellow friend. (well, u knew who!!!haha..) Life was more easier and fun with the presence of u all.

I never forgot how nervous was I the first time I scrubbed in to assist operation. It was an emergency lower segment caesarean section for pre-eclampsia. My hands were freezing and I could feel my body was shaking. I was lucky enough to really functioned as a houseman at the end of the operation while the houseman had scrubbed out to assist another operation. Bleeding occurred for unknown reason when the surgeon tried to closed the wound. The surgeon had to reopen the suture and stopped the bleeding. The experience was precious. In my mind, I really hoped that I was the one who performed the operation one day!!!:P Surgery was 'addicted'.The second operation was elective LSCS with 1 previous scar. The surgeon faced difficulty to identify the lower segment of the uterus due to the adhesion. The surgeon accidentally hit the left uterine artery. Blood was shooting up to 90 degree like a fountain. Blood was everywhere. I was shocked. However, it was amazing that the surgeon could identify the source of the bleeding and ligate the uterine artery cooly and calmly. The bleeding stopped at last. I realized complications could happen any time and the most important thing was how we dealed with it.

No comments: