Saturday, May 26, 2007

Someting about paediatrics posting..





4 weeks (well, only 3 weeks if minus public holidays & wkends) paediatric posting came to the end. Finally, finally, finally...Just felt sense of relieved. I wander why i felt so stress and lost. Maybe time was a factor. Imagine u had to know all about neonates and children in 3 weeks time. This could be difficult some time. Kids were weird. Although they were the same species as u and me, they just special. They sick as usual, but they presented in their own way. They had their own language--crying..or TAK NAK in older children. How to calm a crying and irritable baby/ children was challenging? Agree? I bcame impatient and lost when they started crying or just reject u TAK NAK when i wanted to examine them. And everybody in the ward looking at u as ur 'bad people'. U made a child cried. embarrasing huh? :S

Signs were always the key. Apart from the history from the parents, u had to be an observant. I realized the importance of inspection. It really could tell u alot. The thing was whether u awared of it. Amazing right? Examination of babies were challenging. Imagined u had to detect hepatosplenomegaly while they were crying, struggling..and the organs were so small and tiny. I just feeling like i was 'fighting' with the child during physical examination. I do agree that we need to train our fingers to do it. Practice is always a key and when can i able to do it???
I really did badly in my SAQ, and finally i noticed that i couldnt interpret the problem and made a diagnosis. Was it too late to realize it? I couldnt differentiate nose block sound and stridor in my clinical exam. The most funny thing was that i even asked my examiner how she knew it. Experience was the answer...HAHA...:)



Whatever, I do learn alot during my paeds posting. Special thanks for all the lecutures that spent their quality time with us. Following were some of hightlight....

  • core knowledge

Study...this needs passion and determination


  • common sense

When u cant dun noe the answer, ask urself & use ur brain


  • unlearned and relearned

Throw away all the wrong things & fill it with correct and new knowledge


  • working diagnosis-where & what the pathology, aetiology & complications

This is what medicine about, identify the problem and solve it


  • defining moment

Special things happen in ur life that change ur future.


  • love language: quality time, gift, act of service, physical contact, words of encouragement

How do u expresse ur love? For me, definately quality time and words of encouragement. What yours?


AND............RABBIT balloon..


this is really fun. I abeit phobia bout balloon b4 this. I scared it might 'burst'. But really hard to imagine that i played with it and turned it into a rabbit, a big step rite? I had taken some photoes, just waited for my frens to send to me.

No comments: